Activities for school groups and childcare centres
With a museum, ice rink and picnic room, the Espace des Mondes Polaires is an ideal venue for an all-day group visit. Its focus on the Arctic and Antarctic makes it original and unique in France!
Visiting the polar museum
Three options are available to groups visiting the museum:
- Self-guided visit: using a booklet given to children based on their year (from age 9 to secondary school);
- Guided tour with a museum guide: discovery of the Arctic and Antarctic, explorers, fauna and flora, and much more (tour duration: 1.5 hrs);
- Workshop tour: the guide takes the group around the museum for a guided tour on a specific theme (30 min) and ends with an educational workshop featuring a creative or scientific activity related to the theme (1 hr). The five possible themes are: polar explorers, polar animals, mapping of the poles, the poles and climate, and Inuit peoples.
Skating on the ice floe
Suitable for everyone aged 2 and over, the ice rink offers equipment adapted to all ages and levels. Double-bladed skates and classic skates are available to hire. “Walkers” (skating trainers) and helmets can be loaned to children.
Each group of more than 15 people is given a 2-hour skating slot.
Please note: socks and gloves are mandatory for all skaters.
“Companions and exploration” organised excursion
In partnership with Sentiers Nordiques, a team of professional mushers in Prémanon, the museum offers a day of discovery and exploration for children. On the programme:
- visit to the dog park in La Darbella in the morning with Sophie Tissot, a professional musher;
- “polar explorers” workshop tour at the polar museum.
Lunch can be enjoyed in the picnic room of the Espace des Mondes Polaires.